Walt Disney World announced today that they will be discontinuing Extra Magic Hours. Disney will replace EMH with Early Theme Park Entry.
Early Theme Park Entry will debut later in 2021. The new early entry program will give Walt Disney World Resort hotel guests 30 minutes early access to any theme park, every day. Disney has stated that the change will allow a better spread of visitation across all four theme parks and will give guests better flexibility.
When it was running prior to its suspension following the COVID-19 shutdown, Extra Magic Hours offered 3 hours of extended operating hours in the evening, and an hour in the morning. However, the option was restricted to a specific theme park on a specific day.
Thursday evening Walt Disney World announced more details on its plans to reopen the resort beginning on July 11th.
The big take is that Disney announced that FastPass+ will be suspended, along with Extra Magic Hours.
Effective Thursday Disney will be cancelling all dining reservations, experience bookings, Disney dining plan and FastPass+ selections. Disney also stated that guests with existing Resort reservations will have priority access to the new park reservation system when it becomes available. Also, guests who had existing reservations will receive priority access to rebook reservations when reservations for dining and other experiences resume.
Guests who purchased a Disney dining plan and tickets for dates between May 28, 2020 and September 26, 2021 will receive an automatic cancellation and refund of their Disney dining plan.
Guests who booked Resort hotel reservations with a Free Dining package for dates between May 28, 2020 and September 26, 2021 will receive an automatic cancellation of their Disney dining plan and are invited to rebook their vacation for a later date with a 35% room discount.
The details of the release are below –
- New Ticket Sales and Hotel Reservations: At this time, we are temporarily pausing new ticket sales and Disney Resort hotel reservations so we can focus on guests with existing tickets and reservations. Existing ticket holders and Annual Passholders will be able to make a theme park reservation before new tickets are sold; we will be reaching out to these guests soon to provide additional details. We will resume new sales of tickets and Disney Resort hotel reservations after that period of time. Theme park reservations will be limited due to attendance limitations and will be subject to availability.
- Dining and Experiences: In order to foster physical distancing during this time, upon reopening, our offerings, restaurants and other experiences such as behind-the-scenes tours will be limited in capacity, and other experiences may remain closed. As a result of limited capacity, we have made the difficult decision to cancel all existing dining reservations and experience bookings, including Disney dining plans included in packages. We will reopen dining and experience bookings with more limited numbers closer to when the parks reopen. We will also shift from a 180-day booking window to a 60-day booking window for dining and experience bookings going forward to allow Guests to make their plans closer to their visits.
- FastPass+ and Extra Magic Hours: As a result of the COVID-19 impact, the FastPass+ service will be suspended for the time being as we plan to use additional queue space to manage capacity at our attractions and maintain physical distancing. We will automatically cancel existing FastPass+ selections and share any future updates on the service at a later date. Also, please note that upon reopening, Extra Magic Hours will be temporarily suspended.
May the Fourth be with you!
Honoring this special Star Wars Day, Walt Disney World gave us all some very interesting news.
Today Walt Disney World announced that guests of Disney Resort hotels and other select hotels will be able to take advantage of the Extra Magic Hours benefit with Extra, Extra Magic Hours for a limited time at the theme parks!
Extra, Extra Magic Hours will include Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, as well as Disney’s Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom theme parks.
Here are the details:
- Disney’s Hollywood Studios — Daily from September 1-November 2, the park will have Extra, Extra Magic Hours from 6-9 AM which will include Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, plus Toy Story Land and select other attractions through out the park. Access to Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge and its experiences will be subject to capacity.
Disney also announced that that on August 29-31, Disney’s Hollywood Studios will open at 6 AM for all guests. There will not be Extra, Extra Magic Hours on those days.
- Disney’s Animal Kingdom – Extra, Extra Magic Hours will happen daily August 29-November 2, from 7-8 AM, featuring Pandora – The World of Avatar and other attractions throughout the park. The attractions available will be the same as today’s morning Extra Magic Hours offerings.
- Magic Kingdom Park —Extra, Extra Magic Hours will happen daily from August 29-November 2, from 7-8 AM, the attractions available in Fantasyland and Tomorrowland will be the same as the current morning EMH offerings.
Extra Magic Hours will also continue to be available on select days at Epcot.
If guests are visiting this fall, they are reminded that the Extra, Extra Magic Hours benefit at the Walt Disney World Resort requires a valid theme park admission and hotel ID.
With the opening of Frozen Ever After and the Royal Sommerhus, Epcot has updated its Extra Magic Hours attraction line-up.
Frozen Ever After, the Royal Sommerhus, The Seas with Nemo & Friends, and Turtle Talk with Crush will now be open for both morning and evening EMH.
Mission: SPACE will now only be operating during Evening EMH.
Morning EMH beings 1 hour before regular park opening, and evening EMY begins at regular park close for 2 hours.
The full line-up is:
Epcot Morning EMH
Frozen Ever After
Living with the Land
The Seas with Nemo and Friends
Turtle Talk with Crush
Epcot Evening EMH
Disney and Pixar Short Film Festival
Gran Fiesta Tour Starring The Three Caballeros
Journey Into Imagination With Figment
Living with the Land
O Canada! – Last show starts at 10:55 PM
The American Adventure – 9:45 PM, 10:20 PM
The Circle of Life
The Seas with Nemo & Friends
Turtle Talk With Crush – Continuously 9:00 PM–10:40 PM
Character Spot – 9:00 PM–10:45 PM
Kali Rapids has been removed from the morning Extra Magic Hours line-up at Disney’s Animal Kingdom.
The white-water rafting ride was added to the EMH offering in August, with its last morning EMH availability being today. Kali Rapids will now open with the rest of the park at 9 AM on morning EMH days.
One additional note – the test of compulsory use of lockers for personal items has been cancelled.
The park operating hours and Extra Magic Hours schedule for Walt Disney World has been significantly changed in a recent calendar update.
Most of the evening Extra Magic Hours at the Magic Kingdom have been moved to different days from mid-July until the end of the year, along with morning Extra Magic Hours at Disney’s Animal Kingdom. Both parks have seen significant extensions to park hour. The Magic Kingdom has seen an increase in the number of Main Street Electrical Parade performances.
Disney’s Hollywood Studios has also seen changes to EMH days, and a lot of extensions to regular operating hours and additional Fantasmic! shows.
Epcot appears to have escaped any changes so far.
If you are planning, or already have a trip planned, you should double check the calendar for any changes that may impact your trip.