Effective this week, Walt Disney World has made some changes to the smoking locations at Epcot.
The smoking areas near Morocco, the International Gateway and Mexico have been eliminated.
Disney has added a new smoking area to the France pavilion. This are now joins the area in Italy, the area between Norway and China, the entrance to the Rose Garden walkway in World Showcase, and in Future World near Mission Space and The Land pavilions.
From Business Insider –
Disney will ban smoking in all its future movies aimed towards kids.
Bob Iger said the company will “absolutely prohibit” the use of smoking in Disney films rated PG-13 and under at Thursday’s annual shareholder meeting during a Q&A session.
“We are extending our policy to prohibit smoking in movies across the board: Marvel, Lucas, Pixar, and Disney films,” said Iger.
Iger said the only exception will be in films which involve historical figures known for smoking.
“For instance, we’ve been doing a movie on Abraham Lincoln, he was a smoker, and we would consider that acceptable,” said Iger. “But in terms of any new characters that are created for any of those films, under any of those labels, we will absolutely prohibit smoking in any of those films.”
Disney previously put a smoking ban in place to movies produced by the company after 2007.
The company details its no-smoking policy in films on its website.
Here’s the outline, which was last updated March 20, 2012:
- Disney policy prohibits product placement or promotion deals with respect to tobacco products for any movie it produces and Disney includes a statement to this effect on any movie in which tobacco products are depicted for which Disney is the sole or lead producer.
- Disney has determined not to depict cigarette smoking in movies produced by it after 2007 and distributed under the Disney label.
- Disney discourages depictions of cigarette smoking in movies produced in the United States for which a Disney entity is the sole or lead producer and which are released either as a Touchstone movie or Marvel movie, and seeks to limit cigarette smoking in those movies that are not rated “R” to:
- scenes in which smoking is part of the historical, biographical or cultural context of the scene oris important to the character or scene from a factual or creative standpoint, or
- scenes in which cigarette smoking is portrayed in an unfavorable light or the negative consequences of smoking are emphasized;
- Disney will place anti-smoking public service announcements on DVD’s of new and newly re-mastered titles, not rated “R,” that depict cigarette smoking and will work with theater owners to encourage the exhibition of an anti-smoking public service announcement before the theatrical exhibition of any such movie.
- Disney will include provisions in third-party distribution agreements for movies it distributes that are produced by others in the United States and for which principal photography has not begun at the time the third-party distribution agreement is signed advising filmmakers that it discourages depictions of cigarette smoking in movies that are not rated “R.”
- For movies produced outside the United States or where Disney’s influence over the content of films is limited (such as movies co-produced by Disney), Disney seeks to discourage depiction of smoking in movies that are not rated “R” where we believe it is appropriate and practical to do so.
- Disney regularly reviews the incidence of depictions of smoking in movies distributed by Disney entities. Compiled results of such reviews will be made public.
As of today there will be a reduction in the number of “Smoking Areas” in the Magic Kingdom. The smoking location near Cinderella Castle at the Magic Kingdom is being removed.
Starting February 27th, there will be four available smoking locations in the Magic Kingdom. The available smoking locations will be near Big Thunder Mountain in Frontierland, near the entrance to Adventureland, and two on the walkway between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland (one near Storybook Circus, and the other closer to Tomorrowland).
The changes will be reflected on new park maps.
Downtown Disney will be introducing designated smoking areas later this week. This move will mean that the shopping and dining area will be following a similar smoking policy to the theme parks.
There will be four designated smoking areas that will permit smoking of both normal cigarettes and e-cigarettes:
- On the West Side behind Cirque du Soleil
- By the water between Wolfgang Puck Grand Café and Bongos Cuban Café
- Near T-REX
- By the Marketplace restrooms by stroller rentals.
- Some restaurants with outdoor seating may offer additional smoking locations.
The smoking locations will be marked on new Downtown Disney guide maps later this week, with the new policy set to begin on November 27 2014.