Ever since Disney’s Genie project was announced at the 2019 D23 Expo, Disney fans have anticipated and speculated about what it would be. Yesterday Disney finally took the wraps off and revealed how it plans to reshape the Walt Disney World theme park experience.
Disney announced that Disney Genie will be part of the My Disney Experience app and will arrive at Walt Disney World and Disneyland in this fall.
Disney Genie will include a personalized itinerary feature that will quickly and seamlessly map out an entire day. From specific attractions, foodie experiences and entertainment, to general interests like Disney princesses, villains, Pixar, Star Wars, thrill rides and more, just tell Disney Genie what you want to do and it will do the planning for you.
Here are some key features –
- Get Itinerary Updates from Morning to Night: Disney Genie will continue to update your itinerary throughout your day, so you can be more spontaneous and go with the flow.
- Find Your Favorites at a Glance: Create your very own personal tip board to instantly see your favorites. It will display current AND forecasted future wait times, helping you predict when you might experience quicker entry to attractions.
- Enjoy More Flexibility and Fun: Disney Genie brings existing planning features together in one place. Join a virtual queue at certain attractions, make dining and experience reservations, mobile order food at many locations, get help from a virtual assistant and more.
There will be two other options for enjoying the theme parks, through a queue that Disney is calling Lightning Lane (formerly the FastPass queue) that is designed to save guests time in line.
Genie+ will be available at Walt Disney World for $15 per person per day ($20 per day for Disneyland Resort), and will include access to the Lightning Lane (previously the FastPass line), for one attraction at a time, with a designated arrival time. In addition, top tier attractions not included in Genie+ will be available for individual purchase at a price not yet announced. Speculation is that Disney could be charging between $4 and $24 per person, per ride, depending on the category of attraction.
Guests can make one selection at a time, throughout the day, from classics like Haunted Mansion to thrill rides like Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and newer favorites like Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run (attractions subject to limited availability). If you have visited Disneyland Resort in recent years, this option is the next evolution of the fan-favorite Disney MaxPass service. Disney Genie+ will also include Disney parks-themed audio experiences and photo features to capture your memories, augmented reality lenses for those visiting Walt Disney World Resort and unlimited Disney PhotoPass downloads from your day if you are visiting Disneyland Resort.
Most attractions that were previously part of FastPass+ will be included in the flat-rate Genie+, but top-tier attractions and new attractions like Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance and Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure will require an individual purchase for Lighting Lane access.
Our friends at WDWMagic were nice enough to put together a list of FAQ’s regarding Disney Genie, here are some of the key questions –
1. What is Disney Genie?
Disney Genie is a new digital service that is part of the My Disney Experience app available at no additional cost. The service is designed to plan your day at the Walt Disney World theme parks, including a personalized itinerary that maps out the entire day based on your preferences. Disney Genie will display current AND forecasted future wait times.
2. What is Disney Genie+?
Disney Genie+ is an option within the Disney Genie service that makes the former FastPass line available at select attractions, now called Lightning Lane. At Walt Disney World, the introductory pricing is $15 per ticket per day. Certain headline attractions are not part of Genie+, and Lightning Lane access at those attractions will require an Individual Attraction purchase.
3. What are Individual Attraction Purchases?
Attractions not included as part of Genie+, such as Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance and Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure, will require an individual attraction purchase for access into the Lightning Lane. Pricing for this option will vary by date, attraction and park and is still to be announced. We have heard reliable speculation that puts pricing between $4 and $24 depending on date, attraction and demand.
4. If I don’t want to buy Genie+ or individual attraction purchases, can I still ride?
All attractions will still have a standby queue or a virtual queue. Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance and Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure will feature a virtual queue and Lightning Lane access only.
5. When does Disney Genie and Genie+ launch at Walt Disney World?
Disney Genie+ will launch in fall 2021; no specific date is available.
6. What is the difference between Genie and Genie+?
Disney Genie is the planning service that creates itineraries and is free for all visitors. Genie+ is a paid option to provide Lighting Lane access to certain attractions.
7. What is a Lightning Lane?
The Lighting Lane is the new name for the FastPass queue, and can be accessed via Genie+ at participating attractions, or via an Individual Attraction purchase at a limited number of high-demand attractions.
8. How much does Disney Genie cost?
The basic Disney Genie service is free to all guests visiting Walt Disney World.
9. Is Disney Genie a new app?
Disney Genie will be accessed via My Disney Experience, the existing Walt Disney World app available for iOS and Android.
10. When can I add Genie+ to my ticket?
Once launched in the fall, you will be able to purchase Genie+ for $15 ahead of your visit as an add-on or purchase on the day of your visit.
11. What attractions are available for Lighting Lane access via Genie+?
Disney has not yet provided a complete listing. However, from material released so far, the following will have Lighting Lane access as part of Genie+:
- Astro Orbiter
- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
- Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin
- Dumbo the Flying Elephant
- Enchanted Tales with Belle
- The Haunted Mansion
- it’s a small world
- Jungle Cruise
- Mad Tea Party
- Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run
- The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
- Peter Pan’s Flight
12. How many Disney Genie+ selections can I make?
You can make one selection at a time throughout the day. Once you use one, you can make another.
13. How many Individual Attraction purchases can I make?
You can schedule a time to arrive at up to two highly demanded attractions each day using the Lightning Lane entrance.
14. What attractions will not be part of Genie+ and require an Individual Attraction purchase?
Disney has confirmed that Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance, Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train will not be part of Genie+ and will require an Individual Attraction purchase for Lightning Lane access.
Although not yet confirmed, it is expected that the full line-up of Individual Attraction purchases to be Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance, Slinky Dog Dash, Space Mountain, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, Test Track, Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure, Flight of Passage and Kilimanjaro Safaris.
15. Do I have to buy Genie+ before I can make an Individual Attraction Purchase?
No. Individual Attraction purchases can be made via Disney Genie without needing the Genie+ add-on.
16. When can I purchase Individual Attractions for Lightning Lane access?
Walt Disney World Resort hotel guests can purchase up to 2 individual attraction selections for Lighting Lane access at 7am on the day of visit. Non-resort hotel guests can make a purchase when the park opens.
17. When can I make Genie+ selections?
At Walt Disney World, all guests can make the first Genie+ selection at 7am on the day of the visit via My Disney Experience.
18. Will Genie+ and Individual Attraction purchases be available during Extended Evening Hours and Early Entry for Walt Disney World Resort hotel guests?
No, only standby lines will be in use during these times.
19. Do I have to purchase Genie+ for the entire length of my trip?
If purchased as part of a vacation package ahead of your visit, Genie+ is purchased for the entire length of the stay at $15 per ticket per day.
If not purchased ahead of time, Genie+ can be added on a day-by-day basis.
20. Can I pay to ride Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance or Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure?
Yes. There are two options to access these attractions. You can join the virtual queue, which has no cost, beginning at 7am, or purchase a Lighting Lane entrance if available at the time.
21. How does Genie+ and individual attraction purchases work for Annual Passholders?
Genie+ can be purchased by Walt Disney World Annual Passholders on the day of the visit for $15 per day. No discounts are available.