Starting next month, Walt Disney World guests will no longer be able to buy Genie+ ahead of their visits, the company announced today.
In the announcement, Disney stated that beginning June 8, the service will only be available for purchase for guests on the day of visit via the My Disney Experience app. It was previously offered for pre-purchase as a park ticket add-on.
Guests who have already made an advance purchase of Genie+ for 2022 dates will not be affected.
In the announcement made on the Disney Parks Blog the Disney said –
We’re focused on delivering the best possible guest experience, and this adjustment will help manage the incredibly strong demand our guests have shown for Disney Genie+.
Why is Disney doing this? Your guess is as good as anyone’s, because Disney has not officially stated why.
There is speculation though from Disney observers.
One possible reason could be that this update raises the possibility of Disney offering variable date-based pricing for Genie+ and giving them more flexibility in managing sales of the Genie+ service. Though from a practical standpoint, having advance sale does not preclude this, though by not having advanced sales, Disney does have more flexibility of when having to decide on any variable pricing.
It was noted that a notable change in language today indicates that Genie+ is “subject to availability.” Limiting sales of Genie+ would give Disney help with improving attraction availability for those guests who purchase Genie+.
Some Disney observers have heard that Disney has been exploring the possibility of offering discounted Genie+ to some categories of guests. Annual Passholders and Disney Vacation Members have been a couple of groups who have felt that they should have some level of Genie+ included with their pass, or at least offered at a discount.
There soon will be a new Annual Passholder magnet for passholders to collect….Donald Duck….and I want it!
According to Disney the complimentary summer-themed Donald Duck magnet is scheduled be released on May 18, and will be available for pick up at Disney’s Hollywood Studios although an exact pick up location has not been mentioned yet.
The magnet will feature an image of Donald Duck on a teal background with a sunburst behind him.
The new magnet will be available through June 29.
I certainly hope they still have some available when I’m at Walt Disney World in about a month…because…have I mentioned it…I really want it.
How about the rest of you passholders? Is this on your want list?
Walt Disney World’s 45th Anniversary Annual Passholder dining promotion has been extended until late December of this year.
The promotion that was announced on October 1st was originally planned to expire in September increased the discounts that are in effect for both Annual Passholders and Disney Vacation Club Members.
A 20% discount is available for Annual Passholders at the following Walt Disney World table and quick service restaurants.
- Lottawatta Lodge, Blizzard Beach
- Disney Food Trucks, Disney Springs
- D-Luxe Burger, Disney Springs
- Flame Tree Barbecue, Disney’s Animal Kingdom
- Tiffins, Disney’s Animal Kingdom
- The Mara, Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge
- Jiko, Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge
- Sanaa, Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge
- Beach Club Marketplace, Disney’s Beach Club Resort
- Boardwalk Bakery, Disney’s Boardwalk Resort
- Boardwalk Pizza, Window Disney’s Boardwalk Resort
- ESPN Sports Club, Disney’s Boardwalk Resort
- Flying Fish, Disney’s Boardwalk Resort
- Contempo Café, Disney’s Contemporary Resort
- The Wave Disney’s, Contemporary Resort
- Trail’s End Restaurant, Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground
- Gasparilla Island Grill, Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
- Citricos, Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
- Grand Floridian Café, Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
- Narcoossee’s, Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
- ABC, Disney’s Hollywood Studios
- Backlot Express, Disney’s Hollywood Studios
- Hollywood & Vine, Disney’s Hollywood Studios
- The Hollywood Brown Derby, Disney’s Hollywood Studios
- Olivia’s Café, Disney’s Old Key West Resort
- Capt. Cook’s, Disney’s Polynesian Resort
- Disney’s Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show, Disney’s Polynesian Resort
- Kona Café, Disney’s Polynesian Resort
- Boatwright’s Dining Hall, Riverside Disney’s Port Orleans Resort
- The Turf Club Bar & Grill, Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
- Roaring Fork, Disney’s Wilderness Lodge
- Artist Point, Disney’s Wildnerness Lodge
- Whispering Canyon Café, Disney’s Wildnerness Lodge
- Cape May Café, Disney’s Yacht & Beach Club Resorts
- Captain’s Grille, Disney’s Yacht & Beach Club Resorts
- Electric Umbrella, Epcot
- Liberty Inn, Epcot
- The Garden Grill, Epcot
- Biergarten Restaurant, Epcot
- Coral Reef Restaurant, Epcot
- Rose & Crown Dining Room, Epcot
- ESPN Wide World of Sports Grill, ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex
- Peco’s Bills, Magic Kingdom
- Jungle Navigation Co., Ltd. Skipper Canteen, Magic Kingdom
- Leaning Palms, Typhoon Lagoon
Walt Disney World is increasing the discount for Annual Passholders and Disney Vacation Club Members from through September 30th.
Guests that are Annual Passholders and DVC Members will now get a 30 percent discount (up from 20%) on regular price food and non-alcoholic beverages when dining during the dinner meal period before 6:30 PM or after 8:30 PM at the following locations:
- Jiko at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge
- Flying Fish at Disney’s BoardWalk Resort
- The Wave…of American Flavors at Disney’s Contemporary Resort
- Citricos at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
- The Grand Floridian Café at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
- Olivia’s Cafe at Disney’s Old Key West Resort
- Boatwright’s Dining Hall at Disney’s Port Orleans Resort Riverside
- The Turf Club Bar & Grill at Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
- Artist Point at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge
- Captain’s Grill at Disney’s Yacht Club Resort
Starting on December 21st, all four parks will offer dedicated entrance lines for Annual Passholders.
Passholders, who typically are very familiar with the entry process, will be able to move through the lines faster by using the dedicated entry lines.
The service is expected to be available throughout the holiday period until at least the end of January 2017.